Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Chapter 4 Logos

When it came time to find an argument that included or represented logos I did not have a hard time. Immediately I decided to look for things on the presidential election because it is obvious that both presidential candidates are going to be presenting their "own logic," or their own common sense plan of how this country should be led. McCain holds his mainstream logic as saying that Obama is just a celebrity and has no actual leadership experience. He claims logically, that when a nation is in a time a struggle strong leadership is neccessary and Obama does not possess that leadership skill because he has never led anything in his life. Former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani defends McCain and states that not only was this his personal opinion as well but "it is a fact" that Obama has never led anything and that this country does not have time for on-the-job training. As we read in our text, facts are believable when they come from reliable sources, and I believe that Giuliani represents one of many honest or reliable sources that have been documented in this whole entire campaign.

4 comments:

Tommy C. said...

Hey Allie,
I like how you presented your logos argument while also including the character concepts we have been discussing. Rudy is well respected in both parties as you have mentioned because of his strong reputation of character and leadership that he earned as Mayor of NY. Because of his reputation of being an honest leader, his words can be easily trusted.

Shane T. said...

I agree that Rudy is a trustworthy voice and a good voice of reason. He dealt with 9/11 while mayor, and even though he lost the Republican nomination is did not cause him to turn against his own party, like senator Joe Lieberman who left the Democrats when he lost.

Brooke said...

Allie,
I think that you took a very interesting approach to the logos example. I know our whole class is based off of the election coming up, but applying it to logos was a good choice. I think that you presented it very well and even had a back up point when you credited Rudy Guiliani. I also agree with the argument you were presenting and I think that a lot of people do question whether Obama is ready to lead our country.

Breann Marie said...

I was very interested in your example of logos because I honestly did not think of looking at the presidential elections right away. That was a good point and idea. I liked the example that you gave and that does seem like a good example of logos.